The Gateway Map
Sydney G. Walton Square
Embarcadero and Transamerica Pyramid
Sue Bierman Park Playground
Gateway Tenants Association
WHO ARE WE? The Gateway Tenants Association formed in 1982 as a reaction to potential rent increases and has acted to protect rent control and represent Gateway residents on numerous issues ever since.
WHAT DO WE DO? GTA advocates on behalf of tenants to management and city government, including SFPD and Planning. It closely watches issues and developments in our neighborhood in order to protect our quality of life. It also supports efforts to improve and strengthen our community; please see below for ACCOMPLISHMENTS.
HOW CAN YOU HELP? Please join GTA for only $25.00 a year! Members are invited to socials and receive an email newsletter with updates about local issues and events. We are also seeking volunteers.
- Security meetings: GTA meets with SFPD, management and tenants to improve safety in the area. If you have security concerns, please let us know so we can continue to communicate about them and seek solutions.
- Public meetings: GTA Board members attend public meetings to keep apprised on developments in the area, and they share that information with members.
- Social events: GTA organizes and participates in regular social events to help build community, including monthly Happy Hour Socials, annual Halloween Party and other special events.
- Kids’ camp: GTA donated to the Bay Club’s Summer Kids’ Camp Scholarship Program at the Gateway with an annual gift over the years.
- Children’s playground: GTA contributed to the wildly successful children’s playground at Sue Bierman Park near the corner of Washington Street and the Embarcadero.
- 8 Washington: GTA successfully helped to oppose the 8 Washington condos on the Embarcadero, which would have razed the Bay Club at the Gateway and threatened our community’s main recreation center and an important social hub.
- Member outreach: GTA in 2016 began sending emails to members to keep them up on news and events, and, in 2019 rebuilt the GTA website to better facilitate outreach and receive feedback. We also post regularly on Nextdoor Gateway and Facebook about events.
2021 GTA BOARD OF DIRECTORS
President: Linda Dodge
First Vice President/VE Bldg Rep: Barbara Lowe
Second Vice President: Alec Bash
Treasurer/Membership: Terry Kraus
Secretary: Tatjana Eggert-Reich
Social Events: Donna Duensing
Members-at-Large: Michele Hennessey, VW Bldg Rep, (firstname.lastname@example.org); Madeleine Trembley, VN Bldg Rep, (email@example.com); Andie Lautman, VS Bldg Rep, (firstname.lastname@example.org); Bill Gregory, Townhomes Rep, (email@example.com)
Address: P.O. Box 2134, San Francisco, CA 94216
Dues are only $25.00/year. Please join us!
About the Gateway Area
The Gateway Tenants Association represents residents of the Gateway Apartments and Townhomes (formerly called the Golden Gateway Center), located in San Francisco’s historic Barbary Coast neighborhood. GTA is not affiliated with the management of the Gateway.
The rental development consists of four modern high rises and about 50 townhouses, with 1,254 rental units in all, on three city blocks bounded by Battery, Jackson, Washington and Drumm streets. The architecture is futuristic, featuring balconies, plazas and landscaped pedestrian overpasses.
The complex includes retail and commercial space on the ground level, including a Safeway store, a Bank of America branch and the Eureka Theatre. Residents have postcard views of the Bay, the Bay Bridge, the Ferry Building and/or the city skyline. The waterfront and attractions along the Embarcadero are just blocks away. The three-story red brick Golden Gateway Commons just north of Jackson Street was developed as condominiums, which are privately owned.
The Gateway’s location is superb. Its buildings are flanked by Sydney G. Walton Square and Sue Bierman Park, which attracts the famous wild parrots of Telegraph Hill. Residents can walk to work in the Financial District and have excellent access to public transportation. The popular Ferry Plaza Farmers Market is open on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. Chinatown, Fisherman’s Wharf, North Beach, SoMa downtown and Union Square all are within walking distance.